Red Bull Romaniacs 2015 - Special Rules and Regulations
2. Organizers, contact
3. Event Program
4. Competition licence and event entry fee
5. Technical Terms
5.1 Motorcycles and inspection
5.2 Changing of motorcycle parts
5.3 Fuel supply (refuelling)
5.4 Repair, service
5.5 Starting number
5.6 Navigation Technology
5.7 Garmin GPS details
6. Survival equipment
7. Start & race course, generally
9. Rules & penalties
9.1 Motorbike inspection
9.2 The Prolog
9.3 The start each day
9.4 GPS Rules
9.5 Checkpoint Rules
9.6 At the Finish
9.7 Speeding over limit - Time penalties
12. Abandonment – out of race
13. Closing the track (piste)
14. Responsibility and renunciation to responsibility of the competitors
15. Prize money
16. Audio visual coverage
The "RED BULL ROMANIACS" is written out according to the following guidelines: The RED BULL ROMANIACS is an internationally known race, authorized in Romania by the "Federatia Romana de Motociclism“(F.R.M) and takes place between 14th July to 18th July 2015.
The following classes are:-
- Gold - single
- Silver- single
- Bronze - single
- Iron - single
Competitors who are not sure which race class corresponds to their enduro skill level , you can find tips here.
The route consists of a Prolog in the center of Sibiu followed by four offroad days in the Romanian Carpathian Mountains each with a daily start and finish in the Sibiu area.
Difficult, technically demanding daily stages on hilly landscapes are characteristics of the route, and are manageable with standard hard enduro motorcycles with an autonomy of 80 km.
It is stated explicitly, that the selective characteristics of the route and the attainable maximum time for each section and each day are conditioned by the weather, perseverance and driving ability and can lead to a considerable failure ratio.
The entire route is fitted with shields, respectively colour marked. Maps will be provided by the organizer. (for emergency use)
For safety reasons, the possession of a functioning GPS (type preconditions see point 5.7, technical terms) is necessary for each single competitor.
The next days route will be downloaded onto your GPS by the organizers GPS technical team.
These services are provided, click HERE for information.
The organizer is:
Lito SLU, Edifici Prats, Ctra. Prat Sobirans Bloc B 2.1, AD-400 Arinsal, Andorra
Crazy Bike Club Sibiu, Str Moldoveanu nr 33, Sibiu, Romania / Adrenalin Club Sibiu, Str Cetatii nr 34, 550160 Sibiu, Romania.
SC Xventure SRL, Str. Cetatii nr 34, 550160 Sibiu, Romania
FRM – Federation of Romanian Motorcycling
- Arrival Day - Sunday July 12th & Monday July 13th
- Prolog - Tuesday, July 14th
- Offroad race days 1-4 - Wednesday July 15th until Saturday July 18th
- Departure Day - Sunday July 19th
- More Information will be provided closer to event and published HERE
4. Competition Licences and event entry fee
"Red Bull Romaniacs" Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme(F.I.M) event licences:- F.I.M Europe EMN 30/110 / F.I.M International IMN 490/04
All the competitors need the following 2015 competition licence for competing at Red Bull Romaniacs hard enduro rallye :
a.- Romanian citizens need a national FRM Enduro or Cross Country licence
b.- European citizens need one of the licence listed below:
1) International FIM Enduro or Cross-Country licence or..
2) UEM Enduro or Rally Raid licence or..
3) National licence from the motorcycling federation of the country of which he is a national or in which the applicant is a permanent resident, with written start permission by the FIM recognized motorsports federation allowing to compete at Red Bull Romaniacs.
If you don't, have a competition licence yet.
4) written permission from your national motorsport federation to have a event licence issued by the Romanian Motorcycling Federation (FRM) (this licence can be purchased in Sibiu at the race for a cost of 45 euros, sport medical test of 5 euros and insurance cost of 50 euros)
If purchasing a event licence from Romanian Motorcycling Federation seems to be the best solution for you, and you face problems getting the permission from your national federation, then please report to Cristina Badiu firstname.lastname@example.org
c.- competitors from outside of Europe need one of the licences listed below:
1) International FIM Enduro or Cross Country licence.
If you do not, have a competition licence yet.
2) written permission from their national motorsport federation to have a event licence issued by the Romanian Motorcycling Federation (FRM) (this FIM licence can be purchased in Sibiu at the race for a cost of 50 euros/per race, sport medical test of 5 euros and insurance cost of 50 euros). Has to be announced to FRM (email@example.com) no later than 1st July 2015 !
If purchasing a event FIM licence from Romanian Motorcycling Federation seems to be the best solution for you, and you face problems getting the permission from your national federation, then please report to Cristina Badiu firstname.lastname@example.org
Event entry fee:- The competitor(s) must apply online HERE They must complete the online form and submit it. If there are any technical problems in doing this, an email to email@example.com can be sent to request an application.
The entry fee of 1.680 Euro includes 6 days half-board in 3 & 4 star hotels for Gold, Silver, Bronze, Iron classes.
1.430 Euro is the NON accommodation package which means without accommodation, breakfast or evening meals for Gold, Silver, Bronze, Iron classes.
For accreditation you need to make a 50% payment directly into our bank account and another 50 % before the 14th June 2015.
If cancellation before May 1st 240€ + bank commission of pre-payment will be kept.
If cancellation after May 1st 440€ + bank commission of pre-payment will be kept.
If cancellation after June 1st 840€ + bank commission of pre-payment will be kept.
Extra services, available at an extra charge
1. Single room surcharge (Competitors / support crews / fans)
2. Support crew/Fans package for 470 euro which includes 6 days half-board
These services can be ordered by emailing Crina Ujupan firstname.lastname@example.org
The following information is required when ordering:
- Telephone number
- Do you come with a competitor? If yes, which one?
- Which service would you like to order and for how many persons?
WITHDRAWALS: Support crew/Fans package
If cancellation before May 1st 70€ + bank commission of pre-payment will be kept.
If cancellation after May 1st 150€ + bank commission of pre-payment will be kept.
If cancellation after June 1st 250€ + bank commission of pre-payment will be kept.
- The motorcycles must be in a technical irreproachable condition. They must not exceed noise emission of 96 dB (A).
- Motocross and 'Trials' motorcycles are allowed only if they have vehicle registration papers are fully road legal and fitted with working lights front and rear.
- It is the competitors responsibility for his motorcycle to be in a street legal and street legally insured condition.
- A functioning headlamp and rear light is necessary for safety/legal reasons during the race.
- Competitor(s) who are driving without a functional light at nightfall (darkness) may be disqualified.
- The organiser is authorised not to allow motorcycles with technical problems to take part in the event.
- The frame of the motorcycle may not be changed at any time during the Red Bull Romaniacs hard enduro rallye.
- It is not permitted to fit NEW tyres or 'another set of wheels with NEW tyres' anywhere on the race track between the 'Offroad Start' & 'Offroad Finish' or at the daily service points.
- Refuel ONLY with the engine turned off.
- In the refuel areas there is a strict smoking interdiction!
Only one fuel-stop is mandatory, the rest of the fuel stops count to the race time.
Further details on the position and procedure of the refuel stops will be made known at the competitor briefing in the hotel race HQ at 21.00 before each race day.
- All service points will be reachable by service cars.
- Repairing the bike on the track is only allowed if no other competitor(s) are obstructed.
- The starting numbers will be handed out by the organizer.
They must be clearly and visibly positioned on the front, on the right and on the left of the motorcycle.
- Only the handed out starting numbers by Red Bull Romaniacs officials may be used! (front and side panel numbers)
- It is the competitors responsibility to ask the organizer for a replacement number or any other mandatory sticker handed out by the organizer, if it is not readable any more.
Additional to the fact, that the route is fitted with shields and as a backup for fog or darkness, each competitor will receive the track of each offroad day as well as important co-ordinates for example refuel-areas, finish, hotels etc., uploaded by the organizers onto the GPS.
- Each competitor must have at least ONE functioning GPS at all times.
- The use of 2 GPS´s per competitor is permitted, both must be set on record (trackback feature) and handed to the organizers GPS technical team each night.
- An additional charge of 35 € per GPS will be made for uploading, downloading tracks and providing batteries for a SECOND GPS.
- The power supply of the GPS by power coming from the vehicle and/or from the batteries during the whole race is the responsibility of the competitor.
- Competitors who bring a GPS with integrated rechargeable battery, need to hand in the AC adapter for the GPS; or the GPS will not be accepted.
- NEW batteries will be supplied by the Red Bull Romaniacs GPS team, they will be inserted each night into your GPS.
- If a participant loses or damages his/her GPS, a GPS technician needs to be informed by filling in a specific form.
Allowed Garmin GPS
You can choose any GPS from the list below but we prefer those GPS which have USB connector.
- Colorado 300, Colorado 400c, Colorado 400i,
- Dakota 10, Dakota 20
- eTrex 10, eTrex 20, eTrex 30
- eTrex Legend C, eTrex Legend CX, eTrex Legend H, eTrex Legend HCX
- eTrex Summit HC
- eTrex Venture CX, eTrex Venture HC
- eTrex Vista C, eTrex Vista CX, eTrex Vista H, eTrex Vista HCX
- Foretrex 101, Foretrex 201, Foretrex 301, Foretrex 401
- Geko 201, Geko 301
- GPS 60
- GPSMap 60, GPSMap 60 C, GPSMap 60 CSX, GPSMap 60 CX
GPSMap 62, GPSMap 62 S, GPSMap 62 SC, GPSMap 62 ST
GPSMap 62 STC, GPSmap 64 S
GPSMap 76 C, GPSMap 76 CS, GPSMap 76 CSX, GPSMap 76 CX
GPSMap 78, GPSMap 78 S, GPSMap 78 SC
GPSMap 276 C, GPSMap 376 C, GPSMap 378, GPSMap 478
- Montana 600, Montana 650, Montana 650 T
- Nüvi 500, Nüvi 550
- Oregon 200, Oregon 300, Oregon 400 C, Oregon 400 i
Oregon 450, Oregon 450 T, Oregon 550, Oregon 550 T
- Rino 520, Rino 530, Rino 610, Rino 650, Rino 520 HCX, Rino 530 HCX, Rino 655 T
- Zumo 220, Zumo 550, Zumo 660, Zumo 665
Please consult with email@example.com if you plan to use other GPS types.
For safety reasons competitors must carry with them on their vehicles the following material:
- 1 GPS per competitor
- 1 lighter
- 1 GSM mobile phone in waterproof packaging (able to phone out and receive calls)
- 1 torch (flashlight)
- 6 smoke rocket-flares or 2 red hand-held smoke flares
- 1 compass
- 1 distress mirror
- 1 litre of water
- 1 foil survival blanket
- 1 wind and waterproof jacket
- 1 pencil + contact number + first aid form
- 1 spare spark plug
- 1 tool set for basic repairing
- 1 motorcycle tube or repairing set, if no mousse is fitted
- 1 set of spare batteries for GPS
The instructions for the various items of safety equipment must be respected and competitors will be tested on their knowledge. A helicopter, off-road vehicles, off-road motorcycles with emergency medical aid-teams, as well as ambulances offers their services to each competitor during the whole event. At previous editions the rescue teams arrived in about 25 minutes at the accident site, but due to different terrain and weather conditions, a maximum intervention time of 2,5 hours can be guaranteed.
- In the event of a medical evacuation the helicopter rescue cost will have to be covered by competitors. The cost of helicopter flying time is 1300 euro per hour.
We ask competitors to obtain insurance cover for Medivac flight transportation back to their own country. This insurance cover can often be provided by the Motorcycle governing body (federation) of the country you come from.
- Controls will be made at the 'Motorcycle security park' & 'off-road start' to ensure that competitors are carrying ALL rescue equipment requested. There is a 30 minute time penalty and a 150 euro fine for failure to carry this essential equipment.
7. Start and race-course, generally
- All competitors will get information on the exact starting procedure in the competitor & service crew briefing(s) on Monday 13th July 2015
- The starting-grid, the starting list and interval formation will be announced at the competitors briefing on the evening before each race day.
- Because of the exposed routing, each competitor must treat contacts with other competitors (overtaking), carefully and respectfully.
Overtaking within checkpoints flags is not allowed.
- Checkpoints(CP) are timing points (competitors passage time is recorded) and are clearly indicated on the track.
- The GPS recorded track of the competitor may be taken in consideration in the resolution of a protest or for judging cases of penalty or disqualification.
- Any conspicuous events during the race, regarding the competitors, such as evidently injured competitors or a technical defect stopped competitor, MUST be announced to the ''Rescue Manager'' using the phone number(s) provided. If serious injuries directly contact by mobile phone the Rescue Manager, Race Director or Race organisers.
- In case of an accident, competitors are indebted to help a injured rider, please make contact by mobile phone with the rescue manager. An injured competitor should never be left alone !! If it is not possible due to lack of GSM/Satellite phone signal, then the rescue form with details filled in should be handed to another competitor to phone again where GSM satellite coverage becomes available or phone from the next checkpoint. In general there is GSM signal on most of the peaks and ridges but some valleys have no coverage.
- If a competitor(s) hands in the ''First Aid form'' at the competitor help desk at the Race HQ ''immediately after completing the track'', competitors who assisted at an accident will be given a ''calculated riding'' time by the Race Director or jury.
- If an injured person needs to be taken care of until the rescue-team arrives, all helpers and assistants will receive an “estimated riding time” for that section, on decision of the race Director or Jury.
- Remember:- it will always be worth helping!
- The organizers will publish the “maximum riding time limit” for next day at the competitors briefing.
- The riding time of a competitor is calculated by adding the actual riding time on the track plus given time penalties. (see section 9.00 Rules and penalties)
- The sum of the total amount of time of each stage (start to finish) is valuated.
- The winner is the competitor who achieves the lowest riding time.
- The organizer has the right to disqualify participants in case of unfair behaviour or in the case of course fouls.
- If your riding time means you will not reach the finish(maximum riding time) you will be asked to leave the race track at a checkpoint or tank point and directed back to the finish.
- If you ‘’leave the race track’’ at a checkpoint before the finish follow the instructions provided at the checkpoint. You MUST present your motorcycle and GPS at the ''Offroad finish'' or at the ''Paddock Finish'' as soon as you can.
- After 19:00 on ‘’offroad days’’ any competitor who has not handed in their GPS will NOT be allowed to compete the following offroad day.
- If the organizer / Race Director decides that a section of the course has become impassable due to weather conditions, queuing or other factors outside his control, or if the estimated "maximum days riding time" is no longer achievable then the organization has the right to remove time taken between checkpoints or finish the race earlier and adjust the results accordingly.
- Our guarantee is that at least 40% of competitors each day will be finishers in the results.
- A working GPS must be demonstrated
- A mobile phone must be shown working
- All Survival equipment must be available for examination.
Failure to produce working navigation/phone/safety equipment at the motorcycle inspection or at any time when requested by organizing officials during the event will result in time and monetary penalties or disqualification from the competition.
9.2 At the Prolog
For information about the Prolog, rules and regulations and competitor information.
- More Information will be provided closer to event and published HERE.
9.3 At the start each day
- Being over 60 minutes late at the start means you have abandoned.
- If a competitor is late less than 60 minutes at the start, the GIVEN start time will be recorded not the actual starting time.
- Riding with unreadable competitor numbers at the start will result in a penalty of 200 € and a 10 minute time penalty.
- Poor recording of GPS track :- 10 minutes penalty
- No track recorded :- 30 minutes penalty
- Repeat offenders – disqualification from the event.
- Riding off the track, taking short cuts, being more than 100 meters off track equals an automatic 60 minute penalty or a calculated penalty time provided through Race Directors analysis.
- If a competitor gets lost (leaves race track) he must re-enter the GPS track using the same route to avoid penalties.
- If a competitor gives his/her GPS(s) to another competitor this must be communicated to a GPS technician by filling in a form they will provide. Failure to do this will lead to a 15 minute penalty to the competitor receiving the GPS.
- Not handing in your GPS at the finish will result in a penalty of 200 €
Failure to reach a checkpoint or NOT stopping at checkpoint = Abandoned. This will lead to substantial time penalties.
Failure to reach a checkpoint or NOT stopping at checkpoint on 2 offroad days = Disqualification.
- For your own safety:- it is important the organizers know where you have reached on the track, therefore you must STOP at all checkpoints(CP).
- Not reaching a checkpoint before your TIME BAR time means you have abandoned, and you must leave the racetrack. Failure to leave racetrack equals disqualification.
- For missing or not reaching a checkpoint a inflated "missed track" penalty time will be given. Your actual riding time between missed checkpoints will be removed.
- Loss of timekeeping chip= 15 min penalty
- Not reaching the finish means you have abandoned
- Not reaching the finish within the days maximum riding time means you have abandoned
- Abandoning on two days means disqualification
- All competitors who leave the track must present themselves with their motorcycle (for results transponder reading) and hand in their GPS at the ''GPS competitor paddock checkpoint''. Then WE know YOU are SAFELY home and can produce your result and upload your GPS track for the next days race.
Failure to do this could result in retention of deposit. (see12 .Abandonment -out of race)
You may ride next day on the race track after disqualification ONLY on the discretion of the race Director or race organizers.
You will no longer be included in any official results.
9.7 Speeding over limit - time penalties.
If you drive on roads greater than 10 kilometers over the speed limit you will be given a time penalty.
> 10 kilometers per hour = 5 minute time penalty
> 20 kilometers per hour = 10 minute time penalty
9.8 Miscellaneous Rules
- Riding against the race direction = disqualification
- Not riding on the track of the competition class you entered will lead to abandoned or disqualification
- Temporary results and later official results will be found on the official Red Bull Romaniacs event notice board in the hotel foyer.
- Temporary results are published each evening, competitors have one hours time if they wish to make any complaints, objections or protests.
If there are no complaints, objections or protests then after 2 hours time the results will become official without further notice.
Protests, complaints, objections
- Official protests must be in writing and a protest fee of 130 € has to be posted, if the protest is upheld then this will be returned.
- In the case of an official protest(s) an organized jury meeting will take place to consider this/these.
- For “agreeable” complaints or objections these will be considered by the race Director and or race organizers.
- In the case of written protests, the arbitrator is the race Director, the supreme jury of Red Bull Romaniacs is the race jury, formed by a representative of the event organizers and a representative of the Romanian Federation (FRM).
The guarantee deposit will be taken only by credit card before the race. Amount of guarantee deposit is 250 EURO.
For each machine, a deposit must be made by the competitor to the organizers, so as to guarantee the respect of the following clauses:-
- The obligation to inform, in the case of abandonment, the organizers by all possible means, in accordance with article 12 of these regulations. The means used to inform the organisers is the sole responsibility of the competitor. A third person cannot be held responsible.
- The obligation to return to the organizers all material or equipment temporarily issued to competitors during the event.
- In the case where a competitor is forced to abandon their motorcycle, they must make a declaration to the organizers headquarters on returning home. Vehicle repatriation is at the cost of competitors.
- The obligation to pay all expenses not directly payable to the organizers, as stated in these regulations (e.g.: accommodation, return travel other than that planned, miscellaneous expenses etc.).
- The obligation to respect the safety regulations during the race.
- The obligation to return the GPS after each day race.
- In the case of abandonment, it is imperative that the competitor phones the rescue number.
All competitors who have left the course MUST go to the ''GPS competitors paddock checkpoint'' and hand in their GPS and rescue map. This is how we know you are safely home and you can be included in the days result.
Failure to respect this important safety clause will result in the retention of the caution deposit.
- In addition, failure to respect the obligation to inform the organizers in the case of retirement, abandonment or disqualification, where search operations are carried out, will result in the competitor being liable for the financial costs of search operations.
- If you are abandoned after 2 days (disqualified to race) you may join a free guided tour using part of the race track. The meeting place will be at the entrance/exit of the competitors paddock at 09:00 on offroad days 3 & 4.
- Disqualified or abandoned competitors are only allowed to continue on the race track with the permission of Race organizers or Race Director.
- The organizers' 'sweeper' vehicles will close the enduro rallye race track.
- As it is impossible to guarantee that the sweeper will pass by the exact spot where a machine has broken down, it is the competitors’ responsibility to indicate their position to the checkpoint(CP) using the safety equipment aboard. The sweeper will instruct the individuals found what to do and help if this is needed.
- Competitors who abandon their machine before the passage of the sweeper do so entirely at their own responsibility. The organizer can in no way be held responsible in case of damage or theft.
- Competitors who don’t follow the sweeper’s instructions do so entirely at their own responsibility. However, the competitor may be held responsible for searching and rescuing costs, resulting from their decision of not obeying the sweeper’s instructions. Retrieval of a riders machine left on the track cannot be guaranteed by the organizer, however, help will be provided whenever possible.
Riding on banner/marked Red Bull Romaniacs tracks before event is not permitted.
- Competitors will be disqualified from competing in Red Bull Romaniacs.
- Competitors entry fee will not be returned.
Exclusively all competitors take part to the event on their own responsibility. They carry the exclusive civil and penal responsibility for all the damages caused by their motorcycle. Every competitor guarantees that he and his vehicle are covered by a liability insurance. If the rider is not the owner of the motorcycle which he drives, he sets everyone, who is involved in the organization of the event free of any claim of the proprietor. The competitor, who has suffered an accident or damage, renounces by handing in the enrolment, to any right on proceeding or resort over against anyone involved in the organisation of the event, in particular towards to:-
- The organizer, to his commissaries and helpers
- The owner of the event, used estate as well as towards the carrier of the build facilities and establishments along the track and his commissaries and helper
- The promoter
- The event-sponsors
- The F.R.M (Federatia Romana De Motociclism)
15. Prize money
2015 total prizes:
- € 10,000 cash price money split within the best Gold class riders
- € 10,000 KTM spare part vouchers
16. Audio visual coverage
In order to permit the widest possible dissemination and promotion of the Red Bull Romaniacs, any and all persons taking part in the Red Bull Romaniacs for any reason (hereinafter collectively referred to as the Competitors) acknowledge and agree that their participation in the competition grants to the organizers and assignees the irrevocable right to reproduce and display, without any compensation whatsoever, their name, likeness, voice, biography and history, and more generally, their sports performance in connection with the Red Bull Romaniacs, as well as the trade name(s), trade mark(s), brand(s) of their vehicle parts manufacturers, constructors and sponsors, in any and all forms, on any media (whether now existing or hereafter developed) and in any format, for all kinds of world-wide use, including advertising and/or commercial use without any restrictions whatsoever except for those mentioned hereinafter, and for the entire duration of the protection currently granted for such use by legal or statutory provisions, judicial and/or arbitral decisions of all countries, as well as international conventions (present and future), including eventual extensions that could be made to this duration.
Likewise, with the exception of books, photograph books, comic strips, in any form of publication, video cassettes, CD-ROMs, DVD's or more generally all video recording or videodiscs, on any kind of device and in any format whatsoever, dealing with all or part of the Red Bull Romaniacs, posters, travel diaries, autograph books, maps, official programs of the Red Bull Romaniacs, the organizer will not exploit or allow the exploitation of the individual image of the Competitor in the context of marketing by-products known as merchandising.
Jonny Walker verliert den finalen Renntag - und gewinnt die Rallye!
Gesamtergebnis 2015: Walker, Jarvis, Gomez
Hermannstadt / Sibiu, Rumänien, 18. Juli 2015 - Die Red Bull Romaniacs ist die härteste Extrem Enduro Rallye der Welt - und der britische KTM-Werksfahrer Jonny Walker (UK, KTM) hat sie heute zum zweiten Mal gewonnen! Sein Landsmann Graham Jarvis (UK,...
Walker loses final stage just before the finish - and wins the rally!
Overall result 2015: Walker, Jarvis, Gomez
Sibiu, Romania, July 18th, 2015 – The Red Bull Romaniacs is the toughest Hard Enduro Rally on earth. And Jonny Walker has won it again. He was pushed hard throughout the whole race by Graham Jarvis (UK, Husqvarna), who took the day`s win from him within...
Andreas Lettenbichler dominiert den dritten Renntag und holt sich den Tagessieg vor Alfredo Gomez
Graham Jarvis wird Dritter, Jonny Walker und Wade Young fighten um den 4. Platz
Hermannstadt / Sibiu, Rumänien, 17. Juli 2015 - Am Start des heutigen dritten Offroad-Renntages der Red Bull Romaniacs 2015 war es offensichtlich, dass die Rallye bereits ihre Spuren bei den Teilnehmern hinterlassen...