Why race Romaniacs? - July 21-25, 2020
Competing in the Red Bull Romaniacs Vertical Madness Edition in 2020 is a must!
All about the 2020 Red Bull Romaniacs featuring event organiser Martin Freinademetz with questions from Competitor Manager Cristina Badiu.
It is not only an excuse to ride more, train harder and build strength through the winter months - it also a great excuse to watch as much Hard Enduro on Youtube as possible during the winter - in preparation of the race!
Another reason to compete is the unique terrain in the Red Bull Romaniacs region. The terrain has become famous and gained a compelling reputation in the world of Hard Enduro. Many competitors want to experience this for themselves and see if it can possibly be as gruelling and gnarly as its reputation and at the same time as varied and stunningly beautiful as it appears. Riding in this unique, vast, wilderness terrain is a big motivational force drawing Enduro enthusiasts from over 50 nations around the world. The Vertical Madness 2020 Edition will again introduce new areas and tracks never ridden before and will force competitors to dig deep to reach their reserves of energy, mental strength and skill, a challenge that attracts the adrenaline junkies of Hard Enduro.
Bronze Class rider Rob Chavez about the terrain: “The riding here is 2nd to NONE! You go out here and you see so much beautiful terrain - from the super high mountains, where you are in the clouds, and then you come back down and you are in the trees, in a day you see more riding, then you ever see in most peoples lifetime!”
By signing up, competitors will become aware that they will be pushing themselves to their outer limits, transitioning from “daring to dream” to “living the dream”. Knowing not everybody has the ability to train and accomplish such a feat, affords a sense of identity, respect and accomplishment for all competitors.
Riding a Red Bull Romaniacs is a life-lasting adventure, something people tell their grandkids about. Some people win it and then bring back their family to win it again: Here is the story of Andreas and Manuel Lettenbichler! It is a true family affair of the Red Bull Romaniacs! Father Andreas had taken the win in 2009, going against Cyril Depres, Chris Birch and Graham Jarvis. In 2019, exactly 10 years after his father, “Mani” followed in his footsteps onto the number one spot on the podium. The 21year old Bavarian has now become the youngest rider ever to win the Red Bull Romaniacs Gold class - and he fought hard for it. It was his 5th attempt at the rallye. He first appeared in the Romanian forest in 2015, with his father Andreas who was also competing. Completely overwhelmed by the gruelling nature of the race, Mani got hurt and was not able to finish, but promised to come back. The next year, in 2016 he finished 20th and got close to podium in 2017 as 4th, one hour behind Jarvis. In 2018 Mani went for the win and only missed it in a nail-biting finish 2 minutes behind Wade Young. The finish in 2019 was as close and as breathtaking but this time Mani Lettenbichler came in as winner - with Alfredo Gomez two and half minutes behind him.
Bronze Class Competitor Rob Chavez about the Red Bull Romaniacs: Check out the Movie here:
- “I did the Iron class last year- and I had a great time and I wanted to come back and run Bronze this year”
- “ It makes me young, it makes me feel young! when I sit on the couch, I feel horrible!”
- “I like doing stuff that’s really hard and that not everybody can do. I like to challenge, I need to push myself!”
- “I probably dreamed about the Romaniacs for ten years before I went. I was always trying to get some of my friends to go. Then one year they said, they were all going to go. But nobody went - except for me! I signed up and I went! I was glad for the push (to get here) now I am not afraid!. I like doing stuff that’s really hard and that not everybody can do. I like to challenge, I need to push myself!”
- “Its a challenge. I mean to do everything to get here, to train, and ride and get your work done and still have family time - it is work! But it is passion, you know, to do it - its worth it!”
- “On the first day… I suffered a little bit, in the first few hours, and then I had to remind myself what I was doing and were I was at - and then I had fun with it! And then, once I started having fun with it, the rest of the race was great!” (had fun and not suffered too much)
- “I kind of remember what it was last year - when you come here, you are racing with the best Enduro riders in the world! I t is not like racing at home where we had 10 good riders - there’s hundreds of good riders here! To be able to ride with them is pretty much an honor!” I am glad to be here and I am glad to have the opportunity to do this - I am pretty lucky!”
Deciding to register for the Red Bull Romaniacs is a statement to mean business: Entering such a renowned event will take riders from local level to the world stage of Hard Enduro. The camaraderie and bonds that take place during the 5 days are special and unique to each individual. Competitors build friendships and get to live, breath and sleep Enduro during the event. Many return each year - for that reunion is enough of a reason to choose to register.
With the progression in Live Timing, Live News and Live TV competitors are able to share their daily results with their families and friends at home. Competitors can gain social media “stardom” at home and local race clubs can support and follow their members from afar.
The overwhelming feeling of achievement that competitors earn when they go through the finishing arches on Off-road Day 4 is what it is really all about. Having battled through and succeeded is a feeling that can only be experienced by the individuals. To be able to wear and display the medal from Vertical Madness 2020 is a real achievement.
Red Bull Romaniacs riders compete in five different classes:
Gold, Silver, Bronze, Iron, and the new Atom Class.
Here are our important recommendations for choosing the right class: Click
Good luck securing your starting place at the registrations: 23 October, 12:00 EEST - Click
See you in Sibiu for the 17th Red Bull Romaniacs - 21-25 July, 2020!
The Vertical Madness Edition.